Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 4 of 160

Recently, while in the back seat of a Chevy Suburban on its way to Colorado, I viewed the movie Julie and Julia, an endearing story of love, food, ambition, and feminity based on a novel of the same name. Needless to say, the film inspired me.

I've come to Edinburgh, Scotland to study abroad. In an attempt to document my experiences for posterity, to engage the 21st century world of Blogg and Interweb, and to mimic the actions of great men and women who have traveled and internetted before me, I start this journal.

As did Julie (see movie mentioned above), I now embark upon an adventure of culinary experimentation and independency, and, like her, I know not into what forest or down what valley my commitment will lead me. Essentially, I'm doing the same thing Julie did in the movie, except instead of cooking 524 Julia Child recipes in 365 days I'm going to do whatever I feel like doing for 160 days. It's quite the challenge, but I'm going to give it my all.

Whether I succeed or fail, I'm confident that the spirit of Julia Child will pretty much remain in whatever state it was in before I began. God bless you Julia. And God bless America.

9 comments:

  1. you are the best. thanks for the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross! I am glad that you are documenting your journey. You should institute Thursday night potlucks with all of your Scottish friends. Big hugs from across the Atlantic!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG HUGS FROM ME TOO. I FIND IT HARD TO FALL ASLEEP WITHOUT YOU IN MY ARMS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://laforcechia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUST KIDDING. I HEARD THEY ARE SICK NASTY CRIBBAGE PLAYERS OVER THERE. PLEASE CONFIRM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! nice to be able to hear your voice, lol. keep us updated on your posts with the email list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brockway. My dad loves that movie. And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Julia Childs, and I love you Ross.
    Glad you were in a Suburban in Colorado, makes me proud of my state...

    Please come visit me in Oxford!

    BTW, Jet lagg is a real horses ass...I just woke up at 3 am thinking it was noon...It is the worst!

    Anyways. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh....meat pie. I remember my first meat pie. It may have actually been more of a hot dog pie with mustard and relish, but of course I wasn't in Scottland, which is really Scottsdale. You can see that we got the better deal. A "dale" being more beautiful and having better meat pies than a "land" which is full of craggy rocks and ashtrays on pedestals. But that's just my opinion. Ross, great to hear from you....Tony. I'm sitting here with Mom and she is flossing her teeth very deliberately...as if she had a big chunk of meat pie stuck between her teeths. Love you, mom and Tony

    ReplyDelete