Saturday, June 5, 2010

What the hell is happening to the world?

So, as it turns out, throw-away cameras are no longer in vogue. Here I've been using them for years, clicking away to my heart's content, and letting the photo-developers at Target worry about the consequences. Now I'm in Oslo, Norway, and, as you might expect, I desire to document the beauteous visions that mine eyes behold. Unfortunately, very few of the stores which I would fully expect to sell disposable cameras do in fact sell such machines. Instead I get responses similar to the following: "Disposable cameras?? Ohh! Umm, yeah, we used to have those things, but we stopped selling them two or three years ago. " 2 or 3 years ago?? Where was I when the whole world congregated and voted upon the doing away of all things good and wholesome? Where was I when "film" became an archaic word of a dead language and "photography" the systematic digitalization of reality? Have I been condemned to obsolescence and social rejection along with all the senior citizens who prefer to live simply, traditionally, and with the peace of mind that comes from knowing that that physical things are happening inside your camera when you take a picture, rather than technological/magical representations being compressed into bit-sized computer chips that have no resemblance to the thing of which you've taken a picture? What will happen to dark rooms? And horror movies and psychological thrillers that utilize dark rooms in their scenes? Do we plan to get rid of darkness, as well? How about the sun--we could replace that with giant street lamps that never turn off?
More on this later.

Also, last week I took an amazing trip to Northern Ireland and then Southern Ireland and had one of the best times of my life. More on that later, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment